May Chow’s mushroom burger
Chef May Chow’s Mushroom Tempeh Burger Recipe
(makes 2 burgers)
300 g Shiitake Mushroom
1 pkt Tempeh
3 pc Shallot (diced) or 1 Onion (diced)
3 cloves Garlic (minced)
1 tsp Five Spice Powder
1/2 tsp Cinnamon Powder
2 tbsp Soy Sauce
1 tbsp Sweet Soy Sauce
1 tbsp Dark Soy Sauce
1 tbsp Water
2 pcs Burger Buns Optional
2 tbsp Fried Shallots
- Cut Tempeh and Shiitake Mushroom into cubes, stir fry in a medium high heat for about two minutes.
- Add in shallots, garlic, five spice powder, cinnamon powder and fry for about two minutes or until fragrant.
- Add in the different soy sauces and a tablespoon of water and stir everything together. Turn heat down to medium low and let the ingredients braise for a few minutes. If you’d like, add fried shallots for an extra crunch.
- Keep braising until the liquid is substantially reduced, then take the pan off the heat and let the ingredients cool down.
- As the patty mix is cooling, assemble burger toppings of your choice! This can be sliced tomatoes, onions, lettuce…etc. Here, May mixes minced garlic together with mayo to make a simple garlic mayo that she spreads onto the toasted buns.
- Your patty mix should be cool enough to handle by now. Form patties to your desired size and toast them on high heat on both sides until beautiful golden brown.
- Lastly, build your burger then dig in!